Here with a ForeignKey constraint then [Sep 01]

:raising_hand_man: James2169 asked

Here with a ForeignKey constraint then Parent field in Child table should be populated with ID

:person_tipping_hand: o1lab replied

Im struggling to understand what is missing.

Seems like you have created the relation correctly.

Parent A is associated with one child and Parent B in similar way

What are you expecting ? what is missing ?

:raising_hand_man: James2169 replied

So instead of manually adding each child to the parent using the GUI I expect to be able to infer the relationship from a field of ForeignKeys which in this case is called “Parent”

When I import the Parent table form a CSV I already have the ForeignKey information but NocoDB expects to to manually rekey it all in

No option for related field to existing table

And then after importing I can not select the LinkToAnotherRecord option either for the field

ah, you mean thsi for uploading bulk and creating relations with it

I understand that is important, but this is slightly tricky than it feels

hence the upload is in alpha

the reason being : this looked-up or related-field can come from any nested level

okay thanks at least I understand there are limitations now not just I don’t understand :slightly_smiling_face:

I expected to be able to just type in or paste into the ForeignKey field without the manual GUI selection process

thank you for the understanding :slightly_smiling_face:

:raising_hand_man: Eric replied

i think it’s important to not that defining links from child to parent doesn’t behave in the system as a valid foreign key, since the child key can only be use by one parent (exclusive). this is not a behaviour expected from a foreign key

the previously implemented pattern of setting up a foreign key value from the parent is the correct modeling paradigm.

LinkToAnotherRecord

Has to be created in parent table

With had many

Has

i’ll try again to confirm

ok, i build another example db and tested.

confirmed that the creating the key from the parent with ‘has many’ creates an exclusive one to many relationship (e.g. the linked key value can only be related to one and only one parent record).

structurally, the pattern that is missing is: from a table (parent) no option for many-to-one. this is the textbook foreign key value to a domain of valid keys.