Unicode and API [Feb 24]

:raising_hand_man: Pierric replied

the one that fails is U+1F3AA; the one that works is U+23EA. I think it takes less bytes to encode the one that works.

according to Karlsson on databases and stuff: Using 4-byte UTF-8 (aka 3-byte UNICODE) in MariaDB and MySQL I might need to change mariadb’s encoding to utf8mb4 . I will try that soon.

:person_tipping_hand: o1lab replied

Thanks for follow-up msgs, keep it posted. It will help others.

All solved now. To have things work from the beginning, I think it is enough to change this line in custom.cnf in mariadb’s config BEFORE creating anything with nocodb (assumption: mariadb runs on linuxserver.io’s docker container):

```

[mysqld]

character-set-server = utf8mb4

```

Though I haven’t retested an install from scratch.

To amend an existing install, the following works from a mysql client:

```

alter database your_db_name character set = ‘utf8mb4’;

alter table nc_2fmg__testemails convert to character set ‘utf8mb4’;

```

(repeat for each table already created by nocodb)

(got the commands from Setting Character Sets and Collations - MariaDB Knowledge Base )

maybe forcing that character set from nocodb when creating database / tables would make sense? at least as an option that could be passed to the docker container, or a checkbox when creating a project (either way, ideally enabled by default)

Makes sense

And you ran this setup from our docker compose

?

from an ansible playbook, with parameters inspired from your installation guidelines

Okok

Could you please make a PR … that would be really helpful

We are thinking to make a shell script which will ask basic questions on setup and will create a docker compose

if by PR you mean write some code and submit it to github, I don’t think I’m skilled enough for that! but if you mean a feature request, yes, I’ll circle back to this later today and open one, recapping the findings.

sure, please open an issue with your findings

I have opened utf8mb4 character set instead of utf8 · Issue #1340 · nocodb/nocodb · GitHub

Autogenerated from discord

Join NocoDB’s community

DiscordTwitterRedditDocs