How do Attachment fields work? [May 16]

:raising_hand_man: robertandrews asked

How do Attachment fields work? https://docs.nocodb.com/setup-and-usages/column-types

Are uploaded images stored around Nocodb, somewhere in the database?

Is there a way to use remotely-hosted images? ie. Images stored on S3, Cloudinary or some other web space?

I note Airtable doesn’t support this. I see a feature request for this in Nocodb - [Feature] More options for uploading attachment files, referencing external URLs as attachments · Issue #842 · nocodb/nocodb · GitHub

:raising_hand_man: wkw replied

If you haven’t configured Storage in App Store. Then you should find them in NC_TOOL_DIR.

:raising_hand_man: wkw replied

images can be hosted on S3. u can configure it in App Store

:raising_hand_man: robertandrews replied

Oh right https://docs.nocodb.com/setup-and-usages/app-store/ Sounds interesting. Can it be used to set Attachments to files already in S3, or just upload new ones?

:person_tipping_hand: o1lab replied

at the moment is only to upload new ones

however,w we can think of an option attach an URL too

Ok, so, if I was wanting to import my WordPress (MySQL) database to a fresh database, to run Nocodb as a headless CMS, maybe I would… somehow cycle through each post and, for each post image, set that as an Attachment, which would get stored on S3?

It’s just that I’ll be dealing with a large volume of image files, and I’m considering my options. I’m not necessarily very S3-conversant (though I’m familiar with Cloudinary). It would be good to keep all images together in whatever host I was using to run the Nocodb and database… I’m just expecting the space required would require a pricey plan. Any thoughts?

you can simply connect to your wordpress database (use create project by connecting to an external db)

s3 pricing is pretty cheap

I guess wp stores images in the file system

Yes, WP stores images as files, linked to posts by DB, and there are even plugins to relocate WP’s Media Library to S3.

Ultimately, what I’m interested in is maybe moving off WP, maybe partly to do with cost of host pkg.

So, whilst I could connect to WP MySQL in Nocodb, I’d still be reliant on WP.

Maybe it’sa good start option, or even just use WP images on S3 without moving to Nocodb/Airtable.

Autogenerated from discord

Join NocoDB’s community

DiscordTwitterRedditDocs